A perfect turkey day side dish or a nice Sunday afternoon lunch. Much less fussy than risotto!
For this dish:
- Saute’ 1 cup of onion (chopped) over medium heat for about 6 minutes in a tablespoon of olive oil
- Add a clove of garlic (minced) and sautee for another minute.
- Add 4 C of peeled and chopped butternut squash, stir, and add
- 1/2 C of chicken broth
- 1/2 C of white wine (For the wine I used Willow Vineyard’s award-winning chardonnay. Again I am reminded of how lucky I am to have such awesome wineries in my state)
- 1 1/2 tsp sage.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring 4 C of liquid (water or broth or a combination thereof) to a boil and add 1 C of orzo and boil for about 8 minutes. Drain and add to the squash mixture along with 1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese and 2 T fresh sage (or 1 1/2 tsp dried). Salt and pepper to taste.
The verdict: This is a very rich, very satisfying side dish. I didn’t need to add any salt or pepper.