I made these rhubarb muffins this past weekend, from this recipe that I first posted a couple of years ago. Who doesn’t love rhubarb muffins? They are the perfect way to use up a little leftover rhubarb. I considered using a different recipe, but this seems the simplest – no pre-cooking of rhubarb required. These do not disappoint. Recipe from . . . where else, Simply in Season
FOR PRINTABLE VERSION CLICK HERE: Rhubarb Muffins
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup yogurt (I used kefir)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups rhubarb, diced
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbs butter (melted)
1 tsp ground cinnamon (would you believe I was out of cinnamon? I substituted apple pie seasoning and it worked fine).
1 tsp flour
1. Combine flour through salt thoroughly.
2. In a separate bowl, combine yogurt through vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients just until moistened.
3. Stir in rhubarb. Fill greased muffin tins two-thirds full.
4. Combine sugar, butter, cinnamon, and flour together and sprinkle on top of muffins.
5. Bake at 375F in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
The Verdict: AWESOME! These were good the first time I made them, and have not failed me since. They are not overly sweet, and the rhubarb is such a nice flavor – I especially liked it with the apple pie spice this time.
Serving size: 1/12 of a recipe (3.9 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated by Living Cookbook Recipe Management Software
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (42%) 95.65
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10.83g 17%
Saturated Fat 2.21g 11%
Cholesterol 21.39mg 7%
Sodium 267.91mg 11%
Potassium 167.29mg 5%
Total Carbohydrates 30.93g 10%
Fiber 0.8g 3%
Protein 2.98g 6%
This post shared at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday