On holiday weekends I actually have time to make a breakfast other than scrambled eggs. Pancakes are a team effort around our house, because I always burn them. So I usually mix up the batter and then DH cooks them. I chose this recipe because I thought it would highlight the strawberry jam that I made last week.
After surfing the web I decided to use 100 Days of Real Food’s Whole-Wheat Banana Pancakes as my base. Except I ran out of whole wheat flour so I ended up using some buckwheat, too. I really like the addition.
- 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
- 1/2 C buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- maple syrup or strawberry jam for topping
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients (except mashed banana and topping).
- Mix both bowls together, being careful not to overmix. There will still be some lumps. Fold in the bananas.
- Cook and enjoy!
The Verdict: As aforementioned, I LOVED the mix of buckwheat, banana, and strawberry jam. DH ate his with syrup on top. They are very filling (hint: do not make them as big as the photo. I could hardly eat one, even though it tasted really good.)