For this week’s Dark Days Challenge, I decided to make use of the parsnips that I received in my winter veg box. I sent DH out into the cold garage to grill venison chops while I made this roasted parsnip recipe from Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today’s Produce With More Than 350 Recipes.
- 2 lbs parsnips
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper (is there any other kind?)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp minced fresh rosemary leaves (or a good dash of dried)
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Peel parsnips and slice into 1 1/2 inch chunks.
- Toss parsnips, oil, salt and pepper on a large cooking sheet.
- Roast, turning once, for 40 minutes (or less, ahem – see photo above)
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, toss, and roast another 3 minutes or so until the balsamic begins to glaze.
The Verdict: OK other than the burned ones, these were delicious. I love how the balsamic helped to cut he sweetness of the parsnips. It went really well with the venison chops, which were super tender and delicious.