This bread is full of whole grains!
Yet another recipe from Whole Grain Breads by Machine or Hand: 200 Delicious, Healthful, Simple Recipes, and as I mentioned before, the results have been somewhat uneven.
- 1 cup water (or more)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp flax seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- 3 Tbsp toasted sunflower seeds (optional, I didn’t use)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 C old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 C whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 C bread flour
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- Warm water to 105-115F; add yeast and sugar to warmed bowl, mix well and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except half the the bread f lour; mix well and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Add remaining bread flour (might want to go easy on this, use your own judgement) and mix until it pulls from the side of the mixer and is smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise until doubled (about an hour). Punch down, shape into a greased loaf pan, and let rise again (about another hour).
- Bake in preheated 375F oven for 25-30 minutes, until a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean and dry.
The Verdict: I had a bit of rising problems with this bread too, but again the next day it seemed better. I loved the flavor and all the seeds.
For more bread recipes, check out Yeastspotting.