This bread from Simply in Season is in the summer section, but you can use dried spices and make it year round!
FOR PRINTABLE VERSION CLICK HERE: Dill _ Fennel Yeast Bread
1 Tbs dry active yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup cottage cheese (I substituted homemade fromage blanc)
2-4 Tbs fresh dill (or 2 tsp dried; I didn’t have dill so I used fennel)
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs butter (melted, or oil)
1 Tbs onion (minced; I substituted green onions)
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup whole wheat bread flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 cup bread flour
1. Dissolve the yeast in the water.
2. Warm the cottage cheese and place in large mixing bowl.
3. Add the dill, sugar, butter, onion, salt, baking soda, and egg and mix together. Stir in yeast mixture.
4. Add the flours and cornmeal, knead for 8-10 minutes. Cover and let rise until doubled. Punch down and place into a loaf pan and let rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 350F for 30-35 minutes.
The Verdict: The flavor was great! And the texture is very moist, very similar to the Italian Parmesan Bread that I made a couple of months ago. This would be a great bread to go with chili.
Serving size: 1/12 of a recipe (2.2 ounces).
Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat (14%) 20.44
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2.34g 4%
Saturated Fat 0.61g 3%
Cholesterol 19.27mg 6%
Sodium 506.8mg 21%
Potassium 88.25mg 3%
Total Carbohydrates 23.85g 8%
Fiber 1.17g 5%
Protein 6.69g 13%
For a soft crust, brush with milk when it comes out of the oven.
For more bread recipes, check out Yeastspotting
This post also linked to Simple Lives Thursday